“As an engineer with graduate business and law degrees, I’m enthusiastic about innovation and continuous improvement, and I’m lucky to work every day with professionals and businesses to develop and market new and improved products and services worldwide.”
Doug works as Of Counsel for AMPACC. He has several years of experience in engineering, business management, and law. He has in-house counsel as well as law firm experience. Prior to his legal career, Doug was a supply/purchasing management professional and an electrical engineer.
Doug was first in-house counsel at Sunlight Supply, Inc. in Vancouver, Washington, for several years until the company was acquired by Scotts Miracle-Gro. At Sunlight, Doug’s leadership role was two-fold. First, as a patent attorney to protect the company’s trademarked names, design patents and utility patents on products. Second, as general counsel to oversee all legal affairs, including contracts with vendors, customers, and service providers as well as negotiate building leasing contracts, handle human resource issues, and manage litigation and collection efforts. Doug set up the necessary management systems and hired and trained staff to handle all of the company’s legal matters, including in-house prosecution of all patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Doug has expertise with patents covering a wide range of technical fields, including electrical devices, vehicle systems and components, mechanical devices and systems, mechatronic devices, electronic security systems, hydraulic circuitry and components, material handling devices and systems, lighting for video and photography production, lighting devices for handheld appliance applications, lighting for horticultural applications, cultivating and plant processing equipment, and various devices and methods for processing and packaging food products.
Doug has extensive experience with design and utility patents, managing portfolios of design patents and trademarks, obtaining non-traditional trademark registrations for product configurations, challenging patent applications using third party submissions, and enforcing IP using online e-commerce sites, trademark oppositions, ITC proceedings, private pre- and post-complaint negotiations, and federal and state court litigation.
Doug is experienced in mergers & acquisitions, particularly with due diligence and valuation of IP assets, licensing agreements, supplier contracts, and product development agreements.
Doug is originally from the Pacific Northwest and enjoys the outdoors, boating and aquatic sports, and spending time with his wife, three kids, and extended family.
- Patent and Trademark Procurement
- Contract or Virtual In-house Counsel
- Licensing, Confidentiality, Supply, and R&D Agreements
- Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College, J.D.
- Krannert School of Management, Purdue University, M.S. Industrial Administration
- Purdue University, B.S. Electrical Engineering
- State Bar of Washington
- State Bar of Oregon
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- First in-house counsel for Sunlight Supply, Inc. (2013-2018)
- First in-house counsel for Videx, Inc. (2010-2013)
- Patent attorney at Chernoff Vilhauer, LLP (2004-2010)
- Sourcing/purchasing manager for Ford Motor Company, Freightliner/Daimler, Intel, and Hyster/Yale (1992-2004)
- Electrical engineer with Tektronix and The Aerospace Corporation (1985-1990)